Cockeysville, Maryland 21030
Cockeysville was named after the Cockey family who helped establish
the town. Thomas Cockey (1676–1737) settled in Limestone Valley in 1725
at Taylor's Hall (an area now just north of Padonia Road
and east of Interstate 83
Joshua Frederick Cockey (1765–1821) built one of the first homes in the
area in 1798 and built the first commercial structure, a hotel, in 1810
in what would become the village of Cockeysville. His son, Judge Joshua
F. Cockey (1800–1891), was a lifelong resident in the village and built
the train station (what would be part of the Pennsylvania Railroad
) and accompanying commercial buildings in the 1830s.
After the war, Joshua F. Cockey III (1837–1920) founded the National
Bank of Cockeysville (1891) and other commercial ventures in the
community, as well as developing dwellings along the York Turnpike (now York Road
) that made up the village of Cockeysville.
Cockeysville is home to the Cockeysville Public Library.
The Grand Lodge of Maryland, Ancient, Free, and Accepted Masons, is located in Cockeysville on a 250-acre (1.0 km)
campus. It includes a castle-like structure known as Bonnie Blink
("Beautiful View" in Scottish), which is the retirement home for Master
Masons, Eastern Star ladies and eligible family members. Located
throughout the Grand Lodge are detailed, hand-laid tile storyboards
themes. Adjacent to the Grand Lodge building is the Freemason's Hall,
containing the Maryland Grand Lodge Museum. The museum has the desk that
resigned his commission on, prior to becoming President, a rare Latin
Bible from 1482, and some jewels and regalia of Maryland's past Grand
Commerce and industry
, dating back to the 19th century, produces limestone
, including some of the marble used in the construction of the Washington Monument
The whiter portion towards the bottom half of the monument originated
from this quarry, but since construction was halted when money ran low,
the monument had to be finished using a cheaper, different-colored
Phase one (1848 to 1858) of construction continued up to the 152-foot
(46 m) level, under the direction of Superintendent William Daugherty.
The exterior featured white marble from Texas, Maryland, as well as four
rows of it from Sheffield, Massachusetts
In phase two (1878 to 1888), with work completed by the U.S. Army Corps
of Engineers, commanded by Lt. Col. Thomas L. Casey, white marble for
the exterior was used from a different Cockeysville quarry.
Raker Appliance has been servicing all brands of major kitchen and laundry appliances in Cockeysville since 1968. Raker Appliance's first office was opened on York Road in Cockeysville in the building owned by Bud Shenton.